You can apply for the Winter School Course if you have:
- a minimum three years bachelor degree in life sciences or natural sciences or related fields
- final grade of max. 2,7 (German scale)
- work and laboratory experience
- very good English language proficiency (min. Level B2)
Application deadline: yearly 30th of September
Start of the program: 1st of November
The application is ongoing and only online.
Required admission documents
Documents required for the online Application Form: all documents have to be translated in English
- Official Transcript / Record of Study: Detailed documentation of your academic work (list of courses at all colleges/universities attended including the final grade and the scale)
- Proof of university graduation: bachelor’s degree (min. 3 years) (or equivalent degree in biology, biochemistry, medicine, chemistry, pharmacy or related fields) confirmed by the governmental authorities
- Proof of working experience: of min. 1 year (letter of employer stating your function, duration and detailed tasks)
- Birth certificate: in English, Spanish or German
- Copy of full passport:
- 1 Reference Letter: It is recommended to submit signed letters of two academic teachers who are able to evaluate your personality, academic experience, and intellectual merit
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
- Certificate of B2 level English proficiency: which can be provided by following international certificates
- Cambridge FCE: CAE (C1) and CPE (C2)
- PTE Academic: min. 59 points (Pearson Test)
- IELTS: min. 5,5 points
- TOEFL: 72 points “online”/567 points “on paper”) (2 years validity) or TOEFL IBT or TOEFL home edition
- OOPT: min. 60 points
- TOEIC: min. 785 points “listening/reading”, 160 points “speaking” and 150 points “writing”
- telc B2-C1University
- Degree of an English speaking fundamental study program ( here: an offical confirmation of the examination board is necessary, confirmation of a professor is not enough) or statement on the Transcript of Records or Diploma Supplement “medium of instruction: English”.
- Official Language in your country is English
- NOTE: English native speakers are exempted from presenting this certificate.
- Payment of Application Processing Fee of 30,- Euro
The tuition fee covers the teaching staff, the overall organisation, professional consulting and supervision, health insurance (during these 6 months in Freiburg ), the Spanish and German language courses, the rehearsal for the final exam,
the intercultural training, the lab method training and the scientific communication training.
Fees for students of the Winter School course: 4.500 EUR
750 EUR per month (for 6 months)
The tuition fees for this postgraduate course will be paid monthly to the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg (ALU).
Usually DAAD scholarships may be available and are only given to the very best students.
Cost of Living in Freiburg
You need to ensure sufficient funding to finance your living cost plus the tuition fees.
The average cost of living in Freiburg for one month is currently approx. 861 EUR/ p. month (necessary for visa application)
- Student accommodation costs approx. 350 to 450 EUR / p. month
Private expenses (food, transport, leisure…): ca. 300-400 EUR/ p. month
- Health insurance is available for approx. 50-100 EUR (monthly)
- Transport in Freiburg (tram, train and bus monthly ticket: 64 EUR or you go by bycicle
Usually the IMBS program receives some DAAD scholarships which we assign only to the best students.
All students will be considered but only the very best students will receive a scholarship, but we cannot guarantee in advance.
Therefore we recommend to apply for scholarships or funding at any national organisation in your country or search for certain DAAD scholarships:
For further information about scholarships in Germany please see following website: http://mygermanuniversity.com.