FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

The following information may change according to local and national regulations.

Who can apply?
Students from any country may apply, who have 
– min. 3 years bachelor degree in any of the biomedical or biological sciences 
– min. 1 year work experience
– English proficiency (min. Level B2) (see required docuements below)

Do I have the right background?
The target group includes Life Sciences professionals, medical doctors, pharmacists, biologists, chemists, physicists, biochemists, bioinformaticians, biostatisticians, biotechnologists.

How can I apply for IMBS?
Master Program:
The application period for the IMBS master program for the next year ends on September, 30. (If there is no specific change due to other circumstances; please see admission page)
In order to apply, please fill in the online application form (http://form.jotformz.com/form/51944204146653)

Winter School: The application for the IMBS Winter School for the same year ends on August 31. 
In order to apply please fill in online the application form (https://form.jotform.com/60542737179967)

Required documents for the online application in English:

  1. Official Transcript of Records of your Bachelor Degree
  2. Your university graduation (degree certificate)
  3. Your high school certificate 
  4.  Certificate of B2 level English proficiency: which can be provided by following international certificates: 
    • Cambridge FCE: CAE (C1) and CPE (C2)
    • PTE Academic: min. 59 points (Pearson Test)
    • IELTS Academic: min. 5,5 points 
    • TOEFL Essentials: min. 5 points or TOEFL iBT (min. 72 points online, min. 567 points on paper)  (only 2 years validity)
    • OOPT: min. 60 points
    • TOEIC: min. 785 points “listening/reading”, 160 points “speaking” and 150 points “writing”
    • Telc B2-C1University
    • UNIcert II or III
    • Degree of an english speaking fundamental study program (here: an offical confirmation of the examination board is necessary, confirmation of a professor is not enough) or statement on the Transcript of Records or Diploma Supplement “medium of instruction: English”.
    • Official Language in your country is English
    • NOTE: English native speakers are exempted from presenting this certificate. 
  5. Proof of working experience (min. 1 year) (could be letter from the employer stating your function, task and duration)
  6. Birth certificate (can also be in Spanish or German)
  7. Copy of full passport (including back and front covers and blank pages)
  8. Copy of DNI (Argentinians and foreigners residing in Argentina)
  9. 2 Reference Letters
  10. Curriculum Vitae
  11. Letter of motivation

After uploading your application you need to fulfil the application process by your payment of the application processing fee of 30 Euro.
Online application for the Double Master in Biomedical Sciences
Online application for the Winter School in Biomedical Sciences

What certificates do you receive?
Students who successfully complete all courses in Buenos Aires and Freiburg and complete their written master thesis and thesis defense, will receive two seperate Master degrees (double degree):
1. Master of Science Biomedical Sciences (MSc.) from the University of Freiburg and
2. Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Buenos Aires.

What are the benefits of the IMBS programs?
Whether you choose the IMBS or the winter school program, you are in for an enriching process! Students from all around the world participate with different academic backgrounds, therefore you will have an interdisciplinary and intercultural experience. The program includes a wide variety of subjects, provided by high quality professionals. By completing the program, you will obtain the practical skills to master relevant research methods. Graduates will have the competences to contribute in a broad variety of contexts including the laboratory, clinical settings, industry, universities in teaching and research at government or private companies.

Besides, you will receive a diploma from high-ranking universities worldwide and become part of our international IMBS alumni community.

Which are the teaching subjects?
Modules including lab practice:
Biochemistry, Bioenergetics, Biophysics & Machine Learning, Cellular and Molecular Immunology, Clinical Medicine, Experimental Models, Lab Research, Molecular Biology, Molecular Oncology & Cardiology, Neurology, Pathophysiology, Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virology and Microbiology,
Other Modules: Bioethics, Biostatistics, Materials and Microsystems,
Soft skills: German and Spanish Language course,  Scientific Communication training, Intercultural communication training

How long is the duration of the Master program?
It is a two years fulltime program (24 months):

  • 8 months in Buenos Aires (March – Oct)
  • 8 months in Freiburg (Nov – June)
  • 8 months for the master thesis either in Freiburg or in Buenos Aires (July – February).

Teaching Language of the Master and Winter School Program is English.

Do I learn just as much in an online module as with a present course?
The program has invested great efforts to provide a didactic concept, in order to guarantee you learn as much online as in a face-to-face course. During this time, you will also receive the best professional and organizational support from our team. Given the dynamic current situation (Sars-Cov 2 pandemic) we will provide information about this matter. 

What is the personal contact between the students?
The personal contact between the students is very good, as the participants not only meet during the face-to-face phases in Buenos Aires and Freiburg, but also during the “virtual classrooms” and when they work together on group tasks.

Is the master’s degree recognized internationally?
The IMBS Master (MSc) degree is given upon successful completion of the program by the University of Buenos Aires and the University of Freiburg. The master course has been accredited by the National Commission for University Evaluation and Accreditation (CoNEAU) with the best possible rating A and has been accredited by the German accreditation company AQUIN.

The IMBS Master degree can then be submitted to the German authorities for recognition, which means full recognition in all EU countries.
The Diploma of Advanced Studies (30 credit points)  (completion after 6 months in Freiburg) is given according to the European Credit Transfer System.

Financial statement
The application form requests a financial statement. In this statement you should explain how you plan to finance your IMBS. A personal statement is required. It is not necessary to submit additional documents at this stage.

Are there available scholarships?
Usually we receive some DAAD scholarships which we assign only to the best students. But we cannot guarantee in advance.
Please try to apply in your country at national organisations or at the DAAD http://www.daad.de/ 
Here you find more information about scholarships: http://mygermanuniversity.com.
There are special scholarships for Argentinians and  EU members available.

Are there languages courses?
Students will participate at a Spanish Language course in Buenos Aires and a German language course in Freiburg providing the basic knowledge and grammar to be able to communicate and understand the basics.

Certified versus regular copies
Certified copies are Xerox copies of your original documents bearing a signature and stamp or seal which indicates that the copy is identical to the original document. Certified copies can be issued, for example by the dean’s or registrar’s office of your university, the German Embassy, or a public notary. Regular copies are Xerox copies of your original documents without additional certification that the copy is identical with the original document.

Diploma issued after the deadline
In case you receive a higher diploma after the application deadline, you should submit the certification of your latest degree and a copy of your latest transcript of records. If you have not yet obtained a degree, please indicate the date when you expect this to be conferred. If your college/ university does not award a Bachelor’s degree for a particular course of study, a minimum of six semesters of academic education is required. In this case you may apply to the coordination office to have your education accepted as the equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree.


Buenos Aires, Argentina

Accommodation in Buenos Aires?
There are different options to look for a place in Buenos Aires. More importantly, in case you use a real estate house you can verify its legitimacy at http://colegioinmobiliario.org.ar/.

Other alternatives include: https://www.roomgo.com.ar/https://www.booking.com/https://erasmusu.com/es/erasmus-buenos-aires/alquiler-estudianteshttp://www.alojargentina.com/departamentos-estudiantes-buenos-aireshttps://www.enbuenosaires.com/alquileres-estudiantes/ and https://www.airbnb.com

Entertainment in Buenos Aires?
Buenos Aires is a cosmopolitan metropolis with a wide cultural and leisure offer. By signing up to this web page https://disfrutemosba.buenosaires.gob.ar/ you will receive notifications about cultural and touristic events.

Palermo is a well-known neighborhood located in the north of the city, close to the Rio de la Plata. There are many cocktails’ bars, stores, picnic places, lakes to practice canoe, different museums, a planetarium and the Japanese Gardens. On the other hand, San Telmo is an old neighborhood with a bohemian style, while walking around you may see some tango dancers and other artists performing around.

Public transportation
It is affordable, quick and with a good coverage. First of all, it is necessary to buy the public transportation card called SUBE-card, it can be easily found at tourist assistance centers Kioskos (corner shops). The card will allow you to travel on the busses (collectives) and subway. You can recharge the card at the stations. Each trip costs around 0,15 EUR.

The subway has 6 lines with a good connection to the University of Buenos Aires as well to the main city attractions.
Use the interactive map of transports of the city of Buenos Aires

Taxis are other options to move around the city, private taxis are called remis and can be booked by tourist agencies like Tienda Leon (https://www.tiendaleon.com/), while public taxis can be found using the BA taxi app. This could be a good option to transport from the airport.

As an alternative, there are multiple spots for renting bicycles called EcoBici.

Health assistant
Buenos Aires has good quality health provision. Public hospitals are open 24 hours a day and attend patients free of charge. For an ambulance, call the free number 107 for 24 hours a day.

Freiburg, Germany

When do I obtain my Uni-Account in Freiburg?
After matriculation and once the International Admission Office (IAS) finalizes your enrollment, you will receive a system-generated email from the University IT department (RZ= Rechenzentrum) with your personal Uni-Account and a single-use password with a link to „myAccount“.
Please change your password on this platform. Afterwards, the account is fully usable (including VPN).
You can also generate a University Email account for yourself.

Where can I get my matriculation certificate in Freiburg?
You can easily download the enrollment certificate from this website. Please make sure that you have paid your tuition fee to see the enrollment certificate of the current semester. You can also print out certificates of enrollment for all previous semesters in which you were enrolled.

Accommodation in Freiburg?
SWFR (Studierendenwerk Freiburg) is an institution responsible for the social care of students helping to find accommodation for matriculated students of the University of Freiburg. There are multiple shared and single apartments with reserved places for international students.

For not matriculated students, guesthouses are available for a temporary staying. While https://www.wg-gesucht.de/ is a centralized web page to look for private accommodation like a room in flat sharing kitchen and bathroom with the other flatmates (WG= Wohngemeinschaft) or single appartments.

Entertainment in Freiburg?
Freiburg is a lively, picturesque and green town. The large number of students living in the city keeps the city young and vibrant. Freiburg is well known for the high quality of life, commitment to the environment and diversity with more than 3.500 international students. The area surrounding Freiburg makes it easy to go for a city-scape with activities like skiing, hiking, cycling and mountain biking due to the easy access to the black forest and lakes around.

The city has a privileged geographical positioning, which allows traveling to Switzerland and France in less than one hour. Moreover, the city offers many cultural and sport activities that facilitate the interaction with other students.

Public transportation
Freiburg has an extensive and incredibly well-integrated network of trams and buses. The public transportation is free after 7pm for matriculated students showing the student ID. There is the option to buy a semester ticket which allows the use of the local and regional transportation with no additional cost (60km surrounding of Freiburg).
The map of transportation in Freiburg.

Freiburg has a 450 km bike path outside the Altstadt, therefore the bycicle is common as main transportation. Is is possible to rent bikes using the app Frelo or at the Radstation Freiburg (next to the train station).

Health insurance
Freiburg has a level 3 regional hospital with high quality standards. In addition, there is a network of general doctors and specialist all around the city. There is a private and compulsory modality of the insurance.

The cheaper private insurance for students covers mainly acute sicknesses and it is about 69 EUR/ month.  It does not cover regular checkups, special tooth repair and medicine or treatment for chronic disease. If you know that you would like to stay in Freiburg for your master thesis you could extend this insurance for the time being in Freiburg. 

The compulsory insurance costs ca. 99 EUR/p. month and includes e.g. preventive medical check -ups and special treatments etc.. For complicated interventions at the dentist, you need to pay anyhow something on top by yourself.

Be aware that once you choose one insurance type you cannot swop during your studies to another type (private or compulsory). Only after you finished your studies you can choose another type e.g. when you start your PhD in Germany.

For your decision for the type of health insurance, please consider two aspects:

  1. Would you like to stay in Germany or continue your studies here?
  2. Do you have any chronic disease or some other health problems which could cause a big problem during your stay?

If 1 or 2 is yes, a compulsory insurance would be recommended.